This freakin’ weather! Not everyone has the pleasure of living in the midwest. I am aware of that. And I am acutely aware of the fact that many people live places were the sun shines at least, oh I don’t know; once every 4 days? Wow, that would be heaven. That would be like a TV channel that only played Fawlty Towers, Star Trek Next Generation and Big Bang Theory. No commercials.
The thing is about this time… the thing is, I completely lose my Mojo. Seriously, have you seen it? It’s definitely lost. It wouldn’t be such a big deal if I didn’t need it so badly. Oh Mojo, how I miss you. Without it I am a mere shell of myself, no funny quips and snide remarks. No silliness and tickle fights. Oh yeah, and did I mention no patience? Me – Mojo = Evil dragon Lady.
Have you met my son? No? Let me freshen up your mind a bit. This kid:
Well, my son, I’m pretty sure he has two Mojo’s. Apparently it’s a very rare condition, but it does happen in some children. Here are the symptoms;
- Must sing at the top of his lungs at all times (completely made up songs), while using items like brooms, flashlights, dog bones and Tervis Tumblers (very hard plastic glasses) as percussion. Either against each other or the furniture.
- While playing on his own; must make random screeching noises.
- Must chase dog while making random screeching noises.
- Must chase dog pretending he is the police officer and the dog is the robber; screaming and screeching at the top of his lungs. Also encouraging “little dog” to join the party with her ear-piercing bark.
- Must be happy all of the time.
- Must climb on the edge of two sofas. In a row.
- Must hang a rope from the loft and swing from it.
- Did I mention, Must be singing at all times?
As much as so many of these things make my
every waking moment day a little more difficult, I cannot deny the fact that he is ALWAYS happy. Except when he’s not. But the thing is, when he’s not; it is usually my fault. Of course he would be quick to tell you, and I would be quick to deny it. But he would be right. I basically Steal His Sunshine almost everyday. I know, I know, you are all like what? He’s a kid? Who? You are his mother. Yeah, it’s true, but the thing is, I walk a fine line with this boy. He will always be Sensory Boy (if you want to know about that go here) he will always seek out opportunities to Feel more and Hear more. His body actually needs it to help process information. I will always be Fight with Seasonal Affective Disorder Mom. These are a volatile combination at best, un-combinable at its worse.
Over the past week I have:
- Asked him to use an inside voice 648 times.
- Told him to stop chasing the dog 431 times.
- Asked him to please stop banging on everything 221 times.
- Begged him to not sing so loud 512 times.
- Said “go outside” 156 times.
- Told my husband he needed to go to school instead of being homeschooled 2 times.
- Grounded him from all TV and Video games for 5 days, with a day being added every time he mouths off to me.
The part I am admitting to you; and only to you is, he’s fine. It’s all me. If you tell anyone else I will deny it.
On a sunny day:
- I Tickle him first thing in the morning, sometimes for 45 minutes.
- His songs are funny, and I often write down the words to
remember when he’s grownwrite about in my blog.
- I can handle the screeching, because I am usually jamming to some disco, or Bossa Nova.
- I egg on the robber dog, and just shoe them outside when it gets too much.
- I hug him and kiss him randomly, and tell him how awesome he is.
- I goad him on to make a better more challenging obstacle course while he climbs the sofas.
- I take pictures of him while he swings from the rope.
- And did I mention I even join in on the singing sometimes?
I love my boy. I love him just the way he is. I hate gray skies. Today as we sat in the car outside the library, I explained the concept of stress to this, my 7yo genius. He told me he got it. I told him I just wanted to make sure he knew that no matter what Mommy loved him. He said I know you love me Mommy, don’t worry. He’s got extra Mojo I tell you, and some day some lucky girl is gonna have to fight me for it.
Here’s a little liquid sunshine for your listening pleasure:
As always, when you realize you can’t live without this song. Click here to go straight to iTunes:
And because you know I need your love, will you click here?