I have to admit, had you asked me two months ago what a Liebster was, I think I would look at you, head tilted, trying to decide if we were speaking the same language. But I get it now, and on a really heartfelt note, I have to thank Nicky from Feeling the Empty Nest. If any of you read my last post, you would know that this couldn’t have come at a better time. There is a reason for that, it is the reason for the Liebster awards. But first, loook….. That’s a Liebster award. It’s pretty, isn’t it? It’s pink and it has a heart and it makes you feel warm and fuzzy. It’s my fave of them all. Oh no, no it’s not….. look what I found!
Ok, now this is out of control…… I can pick my own personalized Liebster? Whoa, I’m all over it. Now let’s get back to business, because what I wanted to do is tell you what a Liebster is. A Liebster is an award given from one small blogger to another. Liebster, literally means Dearest in German. This award means, that I recognize you, I am in your shoes. I know about the late nights, the stress when you’re not sure why you’re doing this anymore. I also know how good it feels when someone “gets” you. That’s what a Liebster Award says. It says, keep on truckin’, you’re on the right track, and your voice deserves to be heard. No matter how many people are following you, no matter what your “stats” are, that is what Nicky said to me, and I needed to hear it. The beauty of a Liebster Award is, you get to pass it on. You get to say that to eleven other bloggers. Eleven other bloggers who probably need to hear it too. Apparently this award, which originated in Germany, was originally meant to be given to 5 other blogs, but hey like with everything else we
do build, Americans like things BIG, so we go all the way to 11.
Eleven Random Facts About Me:
- I’m addicted to office supplies. I wish this were a joke, but if you know a support group? I am pretty much completely obsessed with Sharpies and Bic Markit’s, and now the new Papermate InkJoys! 500RT 1.0 medium for me, and nothing else will do! And please, don’t get me started, or send me down and aisle of Post-its! Aye yi yi, I have what can only be considered a Post-it fetish. However, I am always happy to share, because Post-its make everyone’s life better. BUT do not touch my markers and pens.
- I am terrified of heights. I wish this one were funnier, but it’s not. It’s probably the only time I am completely irrational, my son thinks it’s funny. He loves lighthouses, so how can I not take him to the top? Of course I stay glued to the wall while he walks right up to the railing and leans over the edge just for me! Ever see any of my lighthouse photos? You will notice, none of them are beautiful panoramas only visible from the top of a lighthouse.
- When I was a kid, I wanted to be a Cowboy or a Truck-driver when I grew up. My mom used to say “cowgirl.” I would say “no, cowboy!” I blame my father, I think I heard “The Gambler” and “Mamas Don’t Let Your Babies Grow Up To Be Cowboys” one too many times. On a side note I married a truck-driver, although he had retired after 15 years, he’s still a trucker at heart!
- I play the flute. Not played, play, present tense. It’s been hot and cold. My son is very interested in it, so lately it comes out more and more.
- I believe in Dragons and Unicorns. Really. I think they exist somewhere. The rest of the story is fraught with denial, so I will leave you with this. I believe in them, my 7yo does not. It’s kinda of annoying.
- I think peeing is terribly inconvenient.
- I very desperately want to own a sheep farm. My son and I spent a weekend at the Wisconsin Sheep and Wool Festival, man, we were both sold. I always wanted to live on a farm, but now I want a Sheep Farm. Dirty secret? I even like the smell of sheep, and missed it as it washed off of our clothes.
- I am a die-hard trekkie. For those of you who do not live for your sci-fi tv, that would be an avid fan of Star Trek to you, not to be confused with Star Wars, the movie ruined when they decided to tell the beginning of the story.
- I designed and built my house.
- My lost calling is DJ or music critic. I wish with all my heart that I had known those were actual professions. (Don’t ask, it has to do with not making your own choices in life)
- I always see bugs out of the corner of my eye. You know black flying things, spiders dangling from webs. There has been more than one time that I’ve actually ducked, just to see a whole room of people silently wondering WTHeck? I’m pretty sure it’s a brain tumor, my doctor has assured me it’s not. We’ll see who’s right.
- Sorry…. I had to break the rules for this one. Although my name is Jen, for 10 years of my life I went by Lauren (my middle name). Having grown up in the era of Jennifer and Jason, I felt I had no personal identity, I begged my parents when I was 7, as they were sending me to sleep-away camp for the first time, to sign me up as Lauren. Who knew I would stay there 11 years, and that my best friends in the world would come from there. So I have two identities, and they aren’t just in my head.
The Questions posed to me by my most honored nominator
- Why did you start blogging? I started blogging as a way to help other parents who had children that were dealing with similar issues we were dealing with. I had often been asked by therapists and doctors to speak to other families who were struggling. When it came to my son’s issues and progress, I knew the only person who could affect that was me. I am a no nonsense, get the facts and do what you’re told kind of person. So my mission was to
convinceteach other parents that they needed to be that too. A blog was a great format, because we also discovered many parents were almost ashamed to call me, which is even worse. Once I had a blog, they felt like they could reach out to me, because I was like the great and powerful Ozjust a person on the other end of an email. My blog has clearly morphed since my son has grown out of old issues, and into new ones. Also, my desire to write purely as a form of expression has escaped, and so my identity crisis/paradigm shift has changed the course of my blog. It is now about the expression, still information, but expressed in a “real” way.
- Describe yourself in two words. Forgiving and Neurotic
- What’s your favorite quality about yourself? My amazing powers of deductive reasoning. Really. My husband learned very quickly that it was actually IMPOSSIBLE to ever pull the wool over my eyes. I believe one of my missed callings was detective (I looked into becoming a private eye, not so glamourous in real life), and the fire department here in town agrees with me. Long story, but I helped them solve a mystery, and I could tell they didn’t believe my theory when I first told them. I think this is why I am obsessed with witty cop/detective shows like Castle, Elementary, NCIS (the original is the only witty one), Psych, Monk, White Collar, and Warehouse 13.
- What’s your favorite thing to look for in a new blog? Humor based in reality. I don’t need something outrageous, just something true and funny, but don’t be too mean.
- What’s your biggest inspiration? I guess it would be my son, but truly I think God just built in me the inspiration to write, I just explained the concepts of “gifts” to my son. I believe we all have our multiple gifts, and we will never be truly happy if we aren’t using them.
- What’s your favorite activity to do in your spare time? Read. I don’t get a lot of spare time, if I did, I’d be reading. However I would only be reading chic-lit or fantasy/sci-fi. You won’t catch me dead reading some tear-jerker or “meaningful” book.
- Do you have any pets? If so, how many and what kind? I do have 2 dogs, thank you for asking. They are my “Dukes of Hazzard” dogs, Daisy and Roscoe. They are both Schnoodles (Poodle/Schnauzer mixes), my son is terribly allergic to dogs, and these hit the jackpot. Only trouble was once we got home we realized Roscoe needed another dog, and so about a year later, Daisy joined our family. She is a cuddly fluff ball, Roscoe is a tough dude, I do competition nose-work training with him!
- If you have children, what activities are they involved with? Do I have a child? Why yes, a gun-toting pyro-maniac. He is involved in trying to set the house on fire and creating science experiments that will someday help him take over the world. If you mean outside his mind, at this time the only activity he will consent too, is playing tennis with his father who is a tennis pro. We are on a sabbatical from all other activities, and enjoying life without the run-around.
- What’s your favorite social media tool/network? Twitter. I think I’m addicted.
- Do you allow your children to be involved in or have access to social media? My son is 7, so no. But if he was older the answer would still be no. We are a limited access to media family anyway. We don’t have cable, and only watch videos, so as to avoid rampant commercialism, and to have some control over what goes into our kid’s brain.
- What’s your all time favorite meal? Florida Stone Crab Claws!!!! YUM-OLA!
And now for you my fellow bloggers, please answer these 11 questions.
- What is your favorite Band? What is your favorite song? (Does not have to be from the same band)
- What is your favorite book and movie? (once again, could be the same or not)
- What was your first concert?
- What is your favorite mythological creature?
- What did you want to be when you grew up?
- Salty or Sweet?
- Would you rather be really hot or freezing cold?
- If your life was going to be made into a movie, who would you want to play you?
- What is your favorite season, or weather event?
- City or Country?
- Why did you start blogging, and has that changed?
Now, down to business. In my mind the world would be a little less sunny without these wonderful women. I want them to know that I see them, and read them, and to keep on truckin’ and I want my small but loyal group of readers to see them too! And so…..
My Nominees for the Liebster Award are:
Kristi from Finding Ninee
Deb from Urban Moo Cow
Julie from Next Life No Kids
Rachel from Tao of Poop
Rachee’ from Say it Rachee
Mystery Mom from Tea Unsweetened
Dana from Kiss My List
Nikki from The Rushed Mommy
Kim from The G is Silent
Krista from A Ferry Crossing Away
Stacey from Stumbling Towards Meaning
Melissa from Home on Derange